Mental Health Carer Education Programs
Families and friends of people with a mental illness can gain considerable help from Mental health carer education.
A Traveller's guide to wellbeing for families and friends
of people with a mental illness.
The Well Ways Program is designed to increase the capacity of families, carers and friends to care effectively for themselves, other family members and their relatives living with mental illness. The Program provides a broad and sensitive perspective to the many issues facing families as they manage the impact of mental illness on their lives.
Upon completion of Well Ways, people will:
Who should attend?
- Have increased information about mental illnesses, treatment and support options>
- Gain new ideas and further develop skills to learn to cope with the impact of mental illness on their lives.
- Have increased confidence in dealing with the challenges created by mental illness.,/li>
- Have had an opportunity to share experiences, learn from others’ experiences and develop ongoing support and information mechanisms>
Families, friends and carers of people with a mental illness.
The Well Ways Program consists of eight three-hour weekly group sessions plus four follow-up workshops over 12 months.
Informal workshops involving group discussions, videos and practical demonstrations.
About the facilitator
The facilitator is an experienced carer of a person with mental illness who has been trained by the Mental Illness Fellowship Victoria to deliver this Program.
The Program includes:
- Up-to-date information about anxiety, depression, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, obsessive compulsive disorders, schizoaffective disorder and dual diagnosis disorders.
- Information about mental health and carer services.
- Practical insight into behaviours associated with mental illness.
- Practical frameworks to improve communication and problem solving skills.
- Dilemmas and complexities of the caring role.
Mental Health Carers NT do not charge the recommended retail price of this mental health carer education program. However there will be a small charge to help with the costs of materials and refreshments.This can be negotiated and waivered if paying the charge would cause you financial difficulty.When you register your interest about the program you will be sent information with details about the program and the current cost.
To register your interest contact the Darwin Office on (08) 8948 1051 or the Alice Springs Office on (08) 8953 1467
Click here to return Home from Mental Health Carer Education Programs